Thursday, October 15, 2009

God's Goodness and Grace Takes My Breath Away!

Having kept a journal the greater part of my life, I was amazed to discover how much blogging is like keeping a journal. For the most part, my writings tended to stay between me and God. Blogging however has opened my life to a plethora of new relationships and incredible adventures in Jesus that I might never have experienced except in the multifaceted world of the Internet.


One such adventure is ‘Fleece for the Flock’. Early this year, my friend Mary shared an idea God had given her. The basic concept was to create hand tied blankets and distribute them to our neighbors, especially the neediest who could really use a hug from God.
Each blanket has the opportunity to cover the recipient not only in warmth, but to be the hands, feet and loving arms of Christ as we are called to do in 1Peter 5:2-3.

In the short months since beginning this ministry, God has grown it into something Mary and I never imagined and it’s all His doing. We have more than 150 flock members as we call them, from across this country and several outside of the US. Word has spread due in large part to sharing through Facebook, Video’s, emails and blogs. Our members have embraced this ministry with their whole hearts, giving time, money and fleece and most importantly prayer to see these projects completed.

Currently Fleece for the Flock is committed to providing 500 blankets and wraps to our Appalachian neighbors in McDowell County, West Virginia. Due to a series of economic and natural disasters, the community of McDowell has the distinction of being one of the poorest counties in the United States.

The video below does an excellent job explaining how this once thriving community became the poster child for the war on poverty.


Since joining my friend Mary on this mission, not a day passes that 1Corinthians 2:9 is not pouring from my heart. God’s goodness and grace to this old grandma takes my breath away. I am not sure where He is leading next, but wherever it is, I will follow.


This and other post can be found at A Women Inspired

No comments: